I recently read an article in a Better Home & Gardens Special Interest magazine(Secrets of Getting Organized) . It was about how to deal with office clutter of the paper variety. The author had a great list of rules for handling the issue. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it would translate well to handling your email inbox. It even sort of matched how I already handle client email accounts.
– delete junk and trash immediately.
– forward emails that you don’t handle on to appropriate parties immediately.
– respond to things that you do need to answer promptly and move into appropriate folders.
– file emails on events or articles that you want to save but don’t require a response.
– create an auto-filter that moves newsletters into a newsletter folder.